Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Gilmore Girls and other TV Attachments

I checked out the second season of Girlmore Girls from the library. I watch them whenever I can during the day because Jeremy hates GG. I can't blame him; they really are two self-absorbed arrogant women. Anyway, watching it I realized I don't like it as much as I did when I was first introduced back in my college days. It did made me think about my attachment to certain television shows. Not a lot of them but when I find one I like, it stays with me forever. For example,
X-Files - Creeps me out now but I still feel a loyalty because I loved it when it first came out. Plus it was a major social event in college.
Girlmore Girls - Still cracks me up, but my perspective has changed since I was really into it. Probably because I'm a mom of multiple children now and my own self-absorption level has been reduced...slightly. Plus it reminds me of my roommates and I miss them.
Stargate SG-1 - A fine substitute for Star Trek.
Buh Buh Buh the mother of all attachments STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION (and all Star Trek shows except Enterprise and not a huge fan of Deep Space Nine) - Every time I watch it, it seems like my mom isn't a 12 hour 800 mile trip away. When Leonard Nimoy walked out in the latest Trek movie I literally had to throw my hand over my mouth to keep from screaming in the theater and tears instantly popped into my eyes and I wished more than ever that I'd seen it with mom because she would have understood.


The funny thing is with most of these shows, if I started to watch them for the first time today I probably wouldn't get that into them. I enjoy them because when they were on they were and fun and made me think and laugh and cry. And now, even if they can't do that, they're still fun to watch for the times when they did.

3 comments:

  1. I always think of you when i see anything star trek!! In fact, we watched the new one recently and I thought of you quite frequently throughout the movie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do things have to be different when we grow up? I started reading Anne of Green Gables and it is good, but not like it was when I was a little girl. I guess I can be glad that I read it first when I was younger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Spock said, "You have always been, and always will be, my friend," I cried. Not just tears in my eyes, all out cried. Watching X-Files and Star Trek with you are some of my favorite memories. Love you my little Trekkie! mom

    ReplyDelete