Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Stockings are Hung From the Floor Lamp with Care


It's Christmas time. I'm not a humbug...but I'm not a serious Christmas decorator either. We've debated whether or not hanging stockings from the fireplace is really wise. We use it for all our heat so its always going. (We're a little paranoid about starting houses on fire.) The girls hung them from the floor lamp while we have been debating and I suspect that's where they'll stay. For some reason I think I should be bothered by it but I'm not.
Our tree, which is one of the nicest ones we've ever had, looks a little odd. The ornaments are slowly working their way up to the top as we attempt to keep them from Garrett's curious hands. Our nativity set which in our apartment looked cool IN the fireplace has landed on the mantle, again to stay out of curious hands...but it looks out of place. We can't find two boxes of Christmas stuff, which means all of our lights and few other things are MIA.
I guess that's what happens when you move unexpectedly...or when you move on purpose for that matter. Everything feels a bit discombobulated (biggest word I've every blogged). So our first Christmas in an actual house has me scratching my head as to how I should make it look...more...Christmasy.
Uh, and I put pictures of two of the kids because they're so cute. Little monsters.


5 comments:

  1. Heh heh heh heh. With that face and the 2009 shirt, Emma looks a little bit like a convict with a mug shot and her booking numbers up in front of her. :) P.S. We don't use our fireplace, and we still don't hang our stockings there - they're usually on a wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our ornaments are working their way upward because of cats! At least the cats we have now don't climb INTO the tree. Remember those beady cat eyes staring out from between the broken off branches of our tree? Ah, Christmas memories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been struggling with the same this year. Our Christmas decorations FILLED our apartment, but our house looks a little sad. I did take a page out of Mom's book and wrap all of the picture frames and that made a HUGE difference. I need to take pictures and put them on my own blog, but I DEFINITELY recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Christmas tree is hideous. All the pretty ornaments stayed in the attic this year because we want them around next year too. As a result? Only ornaments that I wouldn't mind being used as a baseball were hung. And broken. And re-hung again. And broken in a different way. Then shoved into the tree violently so that it would stay, despite it's mishapen, broken state. I've discovered that if you decorate on the outside (via Christmas lights), it feels decorated but the kids can't touch. That's they way we roll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tree with the ornaments all at the top! As for the stockings... the floor lamp does have convenient hooks for your clever daughters to hang things from, so why not! Stockings are better than other things they could hang!

    ReplyDelete