Monday, January 30, 2012

Arches

I flipped through my most recent issue of Arches, the alumni magazine from my Alma Mater the University of Puget Sound. I don't know if anyone else does this but I turn straight to the back where alumni can send in pictures and updates. I enjoy seeing who's gotten married or had a baby and, sadly, the older I get the fewer people I recognize.

The section that struck me today was the updates section where alumni can send in their most recent accomplishments, awards, promotions, etc. Secretly I've always wanted to send something in and impress my classmates with something amazing or unusual that I've done. But truth be told, I haven't been promoted, received any awards (even for PTA because I still refuse to join), traveled to Tibet to study Tibetan singing bowls, or done anything to better my community as a whole that would constitute a half inch blurb in my alumni magazine.

There's no where to send your blurb that states 'Stacey Nash '03 Got all her children cleaned, fed, in bed, and had a clean living room by 8 pm for the 3rd consecutive day. She has successfully exercised and practiced singing everyday in this same week.'

Now I look at that and think, Wooohoooo! That's all I'm trying to accomplish. There are probably thousands of alumni who do the same things I do each day AND get amazing awards, publish books, and run marathons. Good for them.

For now, I'm aiming for at least one meal today that doesn't include peanut butter. Arches isn't interested and that's ok. I know that I'm making a difference for three little nashlings. They aren't going to publish it anytime soon but its worth more than a half inch blurb.

2 comments:

  1. Arches would totally publish that and you should submit it! Way more interesting (and realistic) than Tibetan singing bowls. :)

    Here's mine:
    Dana Belongia '03 successfully got out of her pajamas everyday this week before sitting down to stare at a computer in her livingroom for 8hrs. Human contact was made with BOTH the grocery store check out lady and the UPS (ah, the other UPS) delivery man."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. (I really hate writing lol. It seems so teenish, but I really am.) We make riveting reading wouldn't we.

      Delete