Sunday, January 30, 2011

Days Like These

I hate days like today.

I was getting the kids ready for church, about to fix Madilyn's hair when Garrett came over crying. I put him on my lap and rocked him but he didn't calm down. Then he reached for his blanket and I saw his arm. He'd fallen against the fireplace and the skin was hanging off the back of his hand.

I ran it under cold water while trying to call Jeremy on the phone. He was already at church for meetings. Turns out he didn't have his phone on him and no one at the church answered any of the three numbers I tried. Meanwhile, Madilyn with Emma following, ran and got the first aid kit and was getting band aids (I didn't even have to ask she just did it.). But we were beyond band aids.

I am so blessed that my in-laws live 5 minutes away and were at my house within 3 minutes of my call. Celeste took the girls and Richard drove us to the emergency room. Jeremy showed up at the hospital not long after we got there.

He has 1st and 2nd degree burns from the back of his hand up to his elbow. He's doing remarkably well with it wrapped and otc pain medications. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll sleep through the night.

BUT days like today remind me to love my family a little more, hug my children a little tighter, and remember that we're watched over.

3 comments:

  1. Oh that poor baby!!! I stuck my hand on the handle of a pot that just came out of the oven last night. It's just a 1 cm area between my thumb and forefinger but it killed me all night. I can't even imagine what little buddy is feeling. Lots of kisses for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy!! Hope he feels better fast!! Luckily we haven't had any major burns yet with our fireplace but I'm sure it's bound to happen!! Sorry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh goodness. hope garrett heals soon. that is so scary.

    ReplyDelete