Sunday, January 23, 2011

2010 - A Year in Review

Yeah I know its coming a little late but I've accepted that there are somethings I will not be punctual on like blog posts and Christmas cards (actually I decided not to send those at all this year) and save the punctuality for important things like getting Madilyn to the bus stop. In general I don't think its necessary to do a year in review because its a blog right? You can just go back and read the entries to see what happened.

But this past year was a 'special' year. A defining year, if you will, in which our lives changed and will never be the same.

Two things.

First, fire. Yup. No surprise there. Your apartment building starts on fire and gets condemned and life changes. But I think what changed my perspective the most was the way the fire made me see the love of the Savior for me and my family.

For example, in the first few days after the fire it was stressful and surreal. Luckily our insurance company paid to have people come in and pack up all our things, clothes and all. Sounds great, and it was, but it was extremely hard to watch complete strangers packing up all our belongings - the junk, the personal, and the private. As it turned out the ladies who packed up our things were members of our church who used to live in the same ward we do now and knew Jeremy's dad. It was one small tender mercy but it brought a peace of mind we sorely needed. So many things similar to that happened all throughout our 'fire' experience. Friends and neighbors, some barely acquaintances, offered help and support that we never expected.

People are good. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love us. Something bad can usher in something good.

Second, Garrett. True he wasn't actually born in 2010 but he started it at 5 months old, when his personality really started to shine. I don't know how to explain exactly what he has done for our family.

He is sunshine.

He is joy, happiness, and laughter simply by being himself. We were happy before he came but looking back I can see we were missing something I just didn't realize it was two feet of car-lovin' boy. Madilyn said to me once, "Garrett makes everyone in our family happy." Yes he does.

2010 was different. Hard, frustrating, but good.

1 comment:

  1. The fire was a life changing ADVENTURE. And I still miss being able to see you everyday {But I am happy you live in such a nice house now}. And amen to Garrett being a sunshine!

    ReplyDelete