Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Goodbye Old Friend...Hello Old-er Friend

When Jeremy and I had been dating for about two months he asked me if I wanted a piano. I was somewhat shocked. We weren't seriously dating yet and he was offering me a piano? What? If I said yes was that some kind of a commitment?
 
But who was I to say no to a piano?
 
Jeremy refinished the piano before he brought it to me (a fact I did not know until years later). Quite an accomplishment when you consider that it sat in a bar for 20 years or something, complete with water rings and cigarette burns. But after a tuning most of the keys are in tune and only a couple of them occasionally stick.
 
For all its faults, I love this piano. I learned to sing over its chipped keys and it has blessed our home with music for the last 10 years.
 
Why didn't I dust before I took the picture!
She's been replaced with another old friend.
 
When I was five years old my Grandpa and Grandma Marek bought me a piano. I remember the day it came home. I sat down and pounded on the keys expecting it to sound like Beethoven. I was more than a little angry that I couldn't play anything beautiful yet.
 
After sitting at my parents since I left home at 18, it was time for it to come back to me. (AKA Mom had had enough of storing my piano in her living room.) It's a beautiful piano and the keys still feel familiar.
 
While I'm a little sad to see my 'bar' piano leave, I'm welcoming in an old friend.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment