Thursday, November 12, 2009

What I Didn't Know

I love my two girls. They are smart, funny, confident, and cute. But anyone who spent much time with us six months after each of their births might understand why I say I am not a baby person. I have two beautiful girls that screamed their guts out for the first six months of their lives (for various reasons, some we know about some we've never figured out). So...the point of my post is to tell you what I didn't know about babies until I had Garrett.


- Babies can stop crying when you pick them up
- Babies can like to cuddle
- Babies know who their mom is (this may seem odd but I remember telling my mom that I didn't think Madilyn even liked me when she was three months old because she cried constantly)
- Babies can stop crying when you change their diaper
- Babies can stop crying when you feed them
- Babies can be happy for periods longer than half an hour
- Babies can sleep in 4 to 6 hour periods at night before they are 8 months old
I'd heard rumors about all of these but wasn't sure whether to believe them or if people were teasing me. I'm sure there are going to be more along way but it's taken me three children to see what I didn't know.

4 comments:

  1. maybe it's a boy thing. my boys have all ben chill. hopefully when i have a girl (knock on wood) she won't scream and cry. i don't think i could handle that!
    i love little garret! he just stares at me whenever i hold him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for good babies! Matthew was a great baby, must be a boy thing! Although Brittanie is pretty good as well. Brianna was and still is the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I've heard this as well! Here's hoping if we have a third I can also experience some of these fun parts of having a newborn! Glad he is a great baby for ya! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My babies taught me to understand the stress on new parents, what lack of sleep can do to your psyche, that sometimes babies will cry no matter what, that crying won't harm babies for life. They also brought me more joy than I ever imagined. Good lessons for a pediatrician.

    ReplyDelete