Friday, October 16, 2009

Geektastic: Tales from the Nerd Herd

I picked this book up at the library because with a title like that I thought it had to be funny. There were a couple of funny parts, like the comic strip that talks about useful Klingon phrases, but mostly I was disappointed because I had to skip a lot, ok I only read one entire chapter and stopped even trying after three, because of language and/or content. Who knew geeks were such potty mouths?

I was a little anxious to read this one. I wondered how much of myself I would find in it, because, yes, I am a geek and/or nerd. As Jess, my friend from college, once told me I'm the good kind of nerd. I don't have a replica bridge of the Enterprise constructed in my garage...I don't have a garage for that matter, I don't dress like a Jedi on the weekends, I don't know the names of every Star Trek character and the actor that played them...oh, wait I do know that. My point is sometimes I feel I need to hide my nerdiness. When Stargate SG-1 came out with a recut of an episode I've seen a dozen times I wanted it but I pretended not to see it at Costco. Jeremy did though and he "talked" me into getting it. He couldn't tell what changes they'd made to the episode but I could. I could not contain my inner geek and watched it several days in a row.

Why does liking science and science fiction make one a geek? Everyone geeks out about something. All those people who can tell you the starting line up for the Chicago Bears in 1975 or how many home runs Ty Cobb hit his last year are sports geeks, but they don't catch as much flack. What it comes down to is that everyone has an inner geek. They have something that they love and know far too much about or simply can't resist. Whether its reloading, horses, sports, kitchen gadgets, weight lifting, or science fiction people like what they like and some like it a whole lot.

I try not to hide it but I can't help but feel judged when someone finds out I like Star Trek or any other show with the word Star in it. But today I'm embracing my inner geek. I like sci fi and secretly I try to go workout at the gym when the SyFy station has one of my shows on since we no longer get that channel. Whatever it is you geek out about, geek out with pride. I am.

Live Long and Prosper.

4 comments:

  1. Stacey you made me laugh! Everytime I think of or hear about star trek I think of you!! I remember you watching star trek all the time back in the day! :) You are a good geek!! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I totally knew that you knew the names of the Star Trek people before you admitted it. And you are the good kind of geek...it's just good to keep it on the down low so that people don't run away immediately. Like I said, you are very good at it. Geek on, my friend. :-)
    love Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy dictionaries, and read them... I am sure that counts!
    -C

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am a geek and proud of it. i have loved star wars, star trek, lord of the rings, harry potter, battlestar galactica, firefly, labrynth, dune, etc. all since i was little. pretty much anything that has to do with fantasy...i like! we should make some shirts!!!!

    ReplyDelete