Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Good Book

I enjoy a good book but yesterday I found "A Good Book", a small locally owned bookstore. I had heard about and wanted to stop for quite a while. Yesterday I finally went in. I brought a trade-in along hoping to score a deal. If I were to own a bookstore (which, if I were to own a store it would be a bookstore) I would want to own this one.

Not only did I get $15 credit for my trade in, I also get 50% off used books and 25% off new! Yes, it is truly wonderful. As I walked through the store with the book lined walls, old comfy chairs to sit and browse, and even a couple of areas for kids to play, I found my eyes tearing up. You may think its an exaggeration, but its not. I love the smell of the books, the sound of the pages turning, the patron and sales people discussing recent reads, and the look of old worn covers. I even found an English translation of the Tales of Genji, which I know was significant in my Asian Studies classes at UPS but for the life of me I can't remember why now. But they have it in a nicely worn green hard back. Beautiful.

More importantly, it reminded me that in the day of Borders and Barnes and Noble there are still wonderfully cute and intimate bookstores where owners hope to learn the names of their patrons, and regulars find themselves greeted each time they enter.

Did I find anything? Of course I did. And when I left what did I find outside the door, a table of books, 4 for a $1. Yup, I had to go back in and get more.

I am so glad I found A Good Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment