Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Run for Fun?

As the mother of a kindergartener, I am getting an education along with Madilyn in the ways of well...education. Two weeks ago, Madilyn's school held their annual PTA fundraiser, a Run for Funz. The kids get pledges for each lap they run around the track. The kindergartners run/walk for half an hour and all the other kids run/walk for an hour. I volunteered to count laps while Madilyn's class ran as a way to be more involved with the school. My parents and Jeremy came to watch her run as well.

I did not expect what I found when I got there. Lots of kids (I expected that part) but lots of parents and families too. All of them cheering and many of them running and/or walking with their kids. Many parents were there most of the day because they had multiple kids running at various times throughout the day. It was great to see our community coming together to support their children.

Madilyn was awesome. She ran 8 laps, yes that's right, 2 miles in half an hour! Jeremy ran and walked some of the laps with her. We were so proud of her. When she got done she said, "Dad I was tired but I didn't give up."

That's my girl!

(I totally have pictures of her running but they're still on the camera and everytime I get a chance to download them Jeremy is out of town with the camera. Argh! So no pictures of our little Forrest Gump.)

2 comments:

  1. Note to everybody. Running is not fun. Ever. It is simply a means to an end. Anyone who thinks otherwise is psycho...loopy...on drugs.

    And look at you, getting all PTA involved. Next thing we know, you'll be wearing suits and running for national office :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well so far I've refused to join the PTA, but they will let you volunteer even if you won't pay their dues. From what I've heard, you join and the next thing you know they want you learn the secret handshake and swear your allegiance to the PTA.

    As far as fundraisers go, why not do one that wears the kids out? Tire'em out I say!

    ReplyDelete