Wednesday, October 6, 2010

There are reasons...


...that I despise cooking. Take the latest example. We got two good sized zucchinis from our garden. I decided to make a double batch of zucchini bread. I've already got half the recipe done when I try to peal the zucchini. Hard as a rock and yellow inside. Hmmmm, I called Jer because I couldn't remember what zucchini was supposed to look like inside. Just so you know, not yellow and mushy.
Luckily the recipe I was using said you could substitute banana or carrots. Perfect! I think because I have 4 mushy bananas on my counter. So I start squishing them. I come to find out that one of them is so bad its liquidy. Yeah I know gross. Now I'm down to three bananas, not enough for my double batch. I read somewhere that you can use baby food carrots in recipes that call for shredded carrots, so I tossed a couple jars of baby food in too. And while the recipe said it needed to cook for 35 minutes turns out 25 was plenty. Grrr.
Yes I made banana carrot muffins instead of zucchini bread. THAT is why I hate cooking. Lucky they're pretty tasty. Emma showed them off for me.

3 comments:

  1. You're so smart to improvise! I would have just given up and tossed it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally pictured this entire story in my head and couldn't stop laughing. I love it. (and you.) Wish I could have been there for the real-life experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am speechless. Since I cook like a chemist, I would have thought, hey, it's zucchini, just shred it up and put it in there, and the whole batch would have been gross. And I probably would have taken it to a church dinner without tasting it. And everyone would have puked. Not that it has really happened to me....

    ReplyDelete